Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Souvalaki With Roasted Potatoes


The best thing that happened to me after having come to North America is that I've got exposure to so many different cuisines of the world. Ever since I was a little child, I have been interested in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen. I know these days in India also, they have access to different cuisines but I believe it's not like what we get here. First of all, we have the people from those countries around the world who have brought the rich heritage with them to North America. I work in a huge company and am friends with people from different countries from around the globe. I have Chinese, Greek, Italian, Spanish etc. co-workers who are equally fond of cooking and learning new recipes and new methods of cooking. I can say that I can make the best known Greek, Italian, Spanish (or Mexican for that matter!) dishes effortlessly, thanks to them. And of course, who can forget Food Network?! My channel is set on it all the time!

I have made this so many times. Even before the blogging, I used to take pictures of my dishes if I really liked what I saw on the plate. I now carefully watch the restaurant dishes and try to recreate them at home and at the same time, present them also the restaurant way. We have stopped going to the Italian restaurant as my hubby puts it: I cook better Italian food at home! Well, dear, not just the Italian. I can make equally good Greek food and here is the sample! Needless to say both father and son enjoyed this finger-licking dinner!


Chicken Souvalaki
Ingredients
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
4 tbsps. Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, grated
Juice of one medium lemon

How to:
Marinate chicken cubes with these ingredients overnight in the fridge. Grill or roast them in the oven till chicken is done.

Greek Potatoes

Ingredients
1 lb. potatoes, quartered or halved
Salt and pepper to taste
Oregano and garlic, crushed to taste
3 tbsp olive oil

How to:

Mix all the ingredients and bake in the hot oven till the potatoes are fork tender.

3 comments:

  1. Great appetizers! Very different flavours in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the platter immediately,everything makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome- one tempting platter you have there!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete