Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cherry Pistachio Scones


I love scones. This is such a great quick bread or cake that you can make it either sweet or savory. Scones are traditionally an English/Scottish delight that is normally served with their after noon tea.  This time, I tried to make it with some kind of nuts and fruits. I’ve used almonds and walnuts a lot in my baking. This was the first time I used pistachio nuts. And yes, the sweet Maraschino cherries. Absolutely fell in love with it. The taste was divine. It did take me back to London, England where 10 years ago I had my first taste of scones and biscuits. I am so happy that now I can make it at home and it is so effortless, I can make it as many times as I want right in my kitchen.

Here’s how I made it.

Cherry Pistachio Scones
Ingredients
3 cups AP flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1-1/4 cups butter milk
2 tbsp baking powder
¼ cup salt
1 tbsp vanilla
¾ cup each chopped pistachio nuts and cherries(drained)
1 tbsp milk
2-3 tbsp sugar

How to:
Pre heat the oven to 425° F.
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
Add butter, butter milk, cherries and pistachios.
Mix until soft dough forms.
Turn the dough onto a lighthly floured surface and knead 10 times.
Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Place the dough on the paper and roll into a circle, about ½ inch thick.
Brush with mik and sprinkle sugar.
Cut into 8 wedges.
Bake in the hot oven for about 15  minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Serve with tea or coffee, brushed with more melted butter of jam of your choice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment