Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chocolate Chip Waffles

For so long, I'd been looking for a waffle iron. Finally, my wish came true when I saw the waffle iron I wanted, went on sale. I didn't wait for a bit. Same day, I went to that store and picked one up for my self and the following weekend, my family woke up to the sweet and delish aroma of crunchy and golden waffles being baked for them.  I was so happy at finally being able to give my family the perfectly baked fresh waffles for breakfast. That was an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. I made these waffles in smaller batches and froze them for later use. And I, a big fan of waffle as a dessert, ended up with one big waffle, with lots of fresh berries and a big dollop of whipped cream.



Chocolate Chip Waffles
Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips

How To:
Heat the oven to 200°F and heat the waffle iron.
Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
Measure the buttermilk, milk, and vegetable oil in a measuring cup; mix in the egg and set aside.
Beat in the vanilla and sugar.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed.
Stir 1/2 cup coarsely chopped chocolate chips (or 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips) into the batter.
Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron (mine takes about 2/3 cup) and cook until the waffle is crisp and nutty brown (follow the manufacturer's instructions for timing at first and then adjust to your liking).
Set the waffle directly on the oven rack to keep it warm and crisp.
Repeat with the remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (don't stack them).
When all the waffles are cooked, serve immediately.

4 comments: