Saturday, January 14, 2012

Simple Aloo Methi(Potato-Fenugreek dry curry)

This is another simple weeknight dinner dish for me. Just like mom, I too keep my veggies clean and chopped and ready to be cooked. I grew up watching mom doing so as she used to work shifts in Telecom company. So she always used to buy a week's worth of groceries on Sunday after noon, right after the church. We would have lunch and then my sister and I would sit down with my parents to clean the leafy veggies and chop the veggies that requires chopping. That's why when I came to Canada, weekend grocery shopping was NOT at all a new concept! I have taken it a step further. I not only clean and chop the leaves of greens like spinach and methi(fenugreek), I sauté them in a little bit of oil and cook till the water evaporates. Then I stash them in the fridge. So they are ready to be used in whichever recipe I want to use them. It works great because sometimes after a couple of days, the greens start to turn yellow and if they are watery, they are done. They end up in the trash. And seriously, who would like to see the precious vegetables and meat go to waste?


Aloo Methi (Potato-Fenugreek)
Ingredients:
1 bunch of Methi(about 1/2 lb), leaves only, washed,dried and chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 med onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 whole red chilies, broken into pieces
1 small stick of Cinnamon
2-3 pepper corns
1 big cardamom
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

How to:
Heat oil in a skillet.
Add cumin seeds, onion and whole spices and sauté until onion is light golden brown in color, for about 7 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for a minute.
Now add potatoes sprinkle some water and cook the potatoes till almost tender.
Lastly, add salt and methi leaves and stir so that the spices coat the leaves, cook for a couple more minutes.
Serve with hot rotis.

Please let your emails/comments keep coming! it's been great and thanks for your kindness and love!

5 comments:

  1. Very delicious and healthy aloo methi. Excellent preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat a healthy and flavourful combo,love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely. Great post..!I am hosting my first blog event plus giveaway - Valentines Special. Do check it out and be a part of it. Would be great..!
    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too make this but i add sambhar powder :)

    ReplyDelete