Friday, July 9, 2010

My little sister's dish


I would never have imagined my sister as a good cook, let alone a cook! Growing up in India, she never stepped into the kitchen! Maybe mom and I were there. I was always around to help mom out and her, she would be watching TV or doing something else but the cooking! After my departure from my parental home upon getting married and coming to Canada, I heard from mom that my sister had started cooking a few dishes for herself. Once she got married and moved to the USA, she has become a very good cook. With two little kids to look after, she still manages to make dinner every day and tries to come up with variations in our day-to-day foods. Today, I am presenting her Sambari Cauliflower recipe. This is her dish, her recipe and the picture also was taken by her. You will see from time to time her recipes on my blog from now on. This one is pretty easy and tasty dish, goes well with hot rotis or parathas.

Sambari Cauliflower
Ingredients
2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
1 medium tomato,finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
2 tbsp sambar powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp kasoori methi
1 tsp each turmerick powder, cumin-coriander powder
1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
Oil
1 tsp whole cumin
1 sprig of Curry leaves

How to:
Heat oil, add cumin. When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves, all the spice powders and tomato. Cook on medium heat till tomato is pulped. Now add cauliflower, peas and salt. Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 15 minutes or till cauliflower is cooked to desired doneness.

1 comment:

  1. Hy Lizy,
    very innovative recipe. Just loved it. your sis rocks too...

    ReplyDelete